London based 'Familiar Creatures' features Dubliner Brian Kelly on lead vocals and a tight trumpet filled urban folk sound which appeals to us here at 2UIBestow. Become familiar with these creatures here and now:
1. Who are you? Familiar Creatures
2. Where are you based? Dublin/Hackney Wick
3. What achievements do you want me to know about? Familiar Creatures have a great European festival pedigree, including primetime slots at Big Feastival, Castlepalooza, Galtres Parklands, Hackney Wicked and Vantastival amongst others. Pre-festival season last year, the group ran a successful residency in East London, attracting bands from as far a field as Amsterdam. We're currently building a new recording studio, with new releases planned for spring 2015 followed by another packed summer schedule. Previous radio play includes BBC 6, Amazing and many Irish stations.
4. What are you up to now? Deep into building our own unique rehearsal/recording space in Hackney Wick. Band members Arwyn and Dan studied/work as sound engineers, whilst singer Brian is very handy at carpentry, a winning studio building team!
5. Name something unique about you or/and your product? We like to experiment with using off kilter timing signatures and chord structures, without affecting a songs overall creativity/catchiness. A healthy dose of jazz and world beats influences the mix, but without being overbearing or too highbrow for listeners. Experimenting with instruments such as trumpets, african drums and distinctive Irish vocals (not many Irish bands still sing in their home accent) it conjures up a fresh sound whilst still working live.
6. What is the best song ever written? Hard question! Golden Brown!?
7. What's the best album ever made? Dan would say Rubber Soul, the rest of the band, Revolver or something by Dr John..!
8. What are your future plans? Build, build build. The band are tech savvy and keen to produce our own music, which ultimately we will need a studio for. New videos and tracks are being released for May onwards. The band are looking at kick starting another new club night to coincide with this, potentially looking at an old boxing ring as a home venue...