Mixtape: International Women's Day [Made in Ireland!]

Following on from the brilliant mix over at Harmless Noise: http://harmlessnoise.ie/2012/03/mix-irish-mots-2012/ here's my mix of ten highly talented but lesser known female artists [& their bands] that I adore and respect! Happy Women's Day!


Sarah Red

Dubliner Sarah Red is busy working on her debut album but the demos on her soundcloud page have already won me over! This cover is so so good in a very guilty pleasure way!




Odi

Wexford's Odi is mad busy touring the folk clubs of the UK and promoting her excellent debut from a few years back.




The Salt Flats

Belfast folkie supergroup The Salt Flats make some really interesting folk music with fine vocals and harmonies!




EleventyFour

Sweet singing jokey folkie EleventyFour's are impossible to dislike! Here's the sweetest song about a forklift you'll ever hear!





Bona Fide Federation

The best female voice in Ireland for my money belongs to Bona Fide Federation's Triona O'Neill and here's why!





Carol Anne McGowan

I've known about the lush sounds of Carol Anne for a long time but for some daft reason this is my first time featuring her music here! There'll be plenty more opportunities in the future for me to feature Caral Anne's music!




Maria Byrne

London based folk artist Maria Byrne won me over with her delicate charming debut album released last year. She's on the bill for Honeyfest in Wiltshire sharing the stage with 'Dry The River' and Damon Albarn's Dr Dee! Hopefully this is the springboard for her career to take off!




The Henry Girls

Donegal's sibling folk band The Henry Girls are busy touring Europe at the moment with their new album 'December Moon'! This track is one of the highlights of that album.




Miss Paula Flynn

I adore the soft delicate vocals of Miss Paula Flynn. It's great to see that Paula is back gigging again with an appearance at Vantastival in May and Boyles of Slane in April!




I Am Not Lefthanded

San Francisco based Irish band I Am Not Lefthanded are one of my favourite bands ever thanks to songs like Long Goodbyes, Everybody Sleeps and this track 'The Place That Won't Let Me Back'. We'd have ya back in Ireland anytime!




http://www.internationalwomensday.com/


Comments