|Niall McCabe Band in Whelans|
Top 5 Gigs by Una Begley
2014’s gig highlights in brief (and in chronological order - I honestly couldn’t choose between them!).
- Foals at the Olympia, 4th February 2014 - Slammed through their set to a packed Olympia, accompanied with one of the best lighting shows I’ve seen in years. Lead singer Yannis Philippakis’ stage dive from one of the boxes summed up the crazy energy at this gig. (original blog post/pics here https://gigaholic.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/foals/)
- Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, 15th February 2014 - Always a highlight, the fact that this was my second last time to see this pair perform together made the gig bittersweet. A rare mix of cerebral spoken word and a beat you can dance your ass off to - DLS vs SP will be missed on the live music scene as a twosome. (original blog post/pics here https://gigaholic.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/1388/)
- Niall McCabe Band, 24th March 2014 - a surprise favourite, as I went to the gig on a whim. Beautiful music in the intimate setting of upstairs in Whelans - this was just one of those special gigs. (original blog post/pics here https://gigaholic.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/niall-mccabe-band/)
- Columbia Mills, 29th November 2014 - a band bursting at the seams to get their music out there, this gig was up there with the best I’d seen this year. Check them out in 2015, or on 28th December in The Harbour Bar, Bray. (Review here http://www.ceolcollective.com/reviews/gigs/live-review--columbia-mills---whelans-upstairs-nov-29th.html)
- Ben Ottewell, 10th December 2014 - a late addition, sneaking in before year’s end. Ben’s stunning distinctive voice made this a gig I will never forget. Sublime support from Michele Stodart was just the icing on the cake (Review here - http://www.ceolcollective.com/reviews/gigs/live-review--ben-ottewell---workman-s-club--dec-10th.html)