Class of 2014 - Peter N's Top 14 International Albums of 2014






Class of 2014
Peter N's Top 14 International Albums of 2014


2014 was an odd year for me musically. I stepped back from blogging until it dragged me back kicking and screaming in the Summer. I was still an avid fan of Irish music but I spread my tastes far and wide such that I fell in love with some awesome albums from International artists. Here are my top 14 International albums of 2014.

1. Bear's Den - Islands

You know that album you find that you can't turn off for weeks? Island's is that for me. They do Mumford & Sons so much better than ... well .... Mumford & Sons. 





2. Angus & Julia Stone - Self-titled

 Australian siblings Angus & Julia's vocal harmonies are a perfect match. Anyone mourning the demise of The Civil Wars should look no further than this album for comfort. 





3. Stu Larsen - Vagabond

Another Australian, Stu Larsen is a nomadic musician who is in Ireland for a show in Whelans in February. His 'Vagabond' album is simply gorgeous. 





4. Drive-by Truckers - English Oceans

Released at the beginning of 2014 the country rock of Drive-by Truckers filled the blog void with tales of deep south debauchery. 





5. Nick Mulvey - First Mind

Moody atmospheric sounds from an English singer-songwriter? Not Ben Howard ..... better than Ben Howard!

6. Dry The River - Alarms of the Heart

My most anticipated album was 80% awesome and 20% meh. Some great tunes but it wasn't as good as their debut. 

7. First Aid Kit - Stay Gold

You know when you give in and check out a band everyone loves and wait to be blown away? While this rarely happens for me with 'Stay Gold' from Sweden's First Aid Kit I was suitably blown away.





8. Ryan Adams - Self-titled

Merging Americana with an 80's vibe, Ryan Adams returned with a great album.

9. Royal Wood - The Burning Light

Canadian Royal Wood wrote and recorded some of this superb album in Slane of Co. Meath. Every song has ambition for greatness. 





10. John Butler Trio - Flesh & Blood

A return to form for another Australian band in this list. Disappointment of the year goes to the fact that i couldn't attend their Vicar Street gig in April. 

11. Ben Howard - I Forgot Where We Were

Unique sounds from an awesome talent. 

12. Cold War Kids - Hold My Home

Piano driven indie anthems with one of pop's best vocalist's 'Cold War Kids' returned with one great album in 2014. 





13. Shovels & Rope - Swimmin' Time

Folk music rarely sounded better in 2014 than this album from duo 'Shovels & Rope'.

14. Joan as Police Woman - The Classic

This album is a stylish pop album from the majestic 'Joan as Police Woman'


Comments