Album Review: The Lost Brothers - So Long John Fante

Recorded in 2010, released in 2011 and reviewed here in 2012 'So Long John Fante' is the second album from the harmonious duo 'The Lost Brothers'! I really want to shout about this album but instead I'll whisper ..... "It's a really nice pleasant little collection of inoffensive songs sung beautifully!" 




According to Wikipedia: "John Fante (April 8, 1909 – May 8, 1983) was an American novelist, short story writer and screenwriter of Italian descent" ..... whose recurring themes.. "are povertyCatholicismfamily lifeItalian-American identity, sports, and the writing life." I can only assume this collection of songs are a dedication to John Fante and his seminal works of the 50s and 60s. The atmosphere and charm of the album certainly does transport you back to those times along with the superb album cover!  


At first listen I'm in love with the album and with the concept. It's available to suit my mood if I require a relaxing chilled out album. It's there as background music if I need to think and contemplate! However a review needs to take account of the quality of the songs, lyrics and musicianship. 








Many of the songs come and go without leaving an impression. In fact 'Hallow Call' and 'Golden Dawn' should not rest beside each other as they are so alike. There are many heartfelt songs about break-ups. 'Killing Heart' is a song that has it's place in the world but is full of sadness. When I focus on these songs I get what's been delivered but there's a conflict here. The harmonies are so deliciously delivered that you get lost within the vocals and not the lyrics which results in the lyrics not making an impression! 


There are three really great songs I love on the album. 'The Goodbye Kid' made my top 10 songs last year. I love the strings of 'Bells They Won't Ring' and the charming love song of 'Only by the Light of the Moon'.





'So Long John Fante' is a beautiful creature that I can admire from afar. I really wanted to relate to the album more and shout from my soapbox about how great it is! The music demands a gentle whisper about it's greatness!


The Lost Brothers - So Long John Fante [10 out of 12]


Buy the album: http://thelostbrothers.bigcartel.com/product/cd-album-so-long-john-fante

The Lost Brothers begin 'The Certain three' tour with Katie Kim and Puzzle Muteson.


Comments