Album Review: Maria Byrne & The Broken String - Little Basement

'Little Basement' is the debut album from London based Corkonian Maria Byrne and it's a wonderful collection of inoffensive singalong songs which brings a warm glow into my life.


Charming, delicate and honest are three words I'll be using a lot to describe Maria Byrne's fabulous debut album 'Little Basement'. It's probably my most listened to album so far this year as I was fortunate enough to get a sample copy way back early in the Summer. The singalong chorus 'All You Need' has been the soundtrack to my family's Summer when played in the car.

The standout track is the warm charming 'Winter'. I love the slow piano introduction and the heartbreaking lyrics.
"Won't you come with me, closer on my pillow, won't you come with me, keep me warm in the Winter".
So simple, yet honest and full of warmth. I also love the strings at the end of the track. If there was any justice in the world this song would be all over the radio!


Winter - Maria Byrne & The Broken String by maria_byrne


The other amazing song from 'Little Basements' is 'Once Upon A Time in London'. The track resonates around Maria's vocals and lyrics with the instrumentation lifting the lyrics to the fore. It's a gorgeous track.

The lead single from the album is 'Home' which is an up-tempo good time folk song and can be bought here. Other tracks of note include 'Jack', the title track and the already mentioned catchy as anything 'All You Need'.

All You Need - Maria Byrne & The Broken String by maria_byrne


Little Basements is an honest, delicate, charming album which has the ability to bring colour into an Autumn day in Ireland!

Maria Byrne & The Broken String - Little Basement [11 out of 12]

http://www.mariabyrne.com/

Maria headlines Upstairs in Whelans on Thursday October 27th with support from comedian Maeve Higgins. Full details here: http://www.whelanslive.com/index.php/archives/5249

Comments