Paws For Thought Invades 2uibestow [Part 4]

This week Jennifer Doherty, the writer of the popular blog 'Paws For Thought' is the guest blogger. I'm really excited about this because I don't know many people more passionate about music than Jennifer.



Guest Post 4


I never did become a professional DJ, but I enjoy working as a volunteer at
Inishowen Community Radio



Every week I produce a music show, which is broadcast on Sunday evenings between eight and nine PM. I enjoy having the freedom to play music that I like, both old and new. I haven’t had the opportunity to do too many interviews with musicians so far, but hopefully that will change in the future.


Many people misunderstand the purpose of community radio, and dismiss it as unprofessional, just because it doesn’t have the listenership that a national or commercial station would have. In ICR, more than 50% of the station’s output is produced by volunteers, who do it for the love of radio, and not for money. It is an inclusive organisation, with people from all backgrounds having the opportunity to participate in many different aspects of radio. Best of all, we always have good craic!


I have created different packages and documentaries for radio, on topics ranging from the showband scene in Ireland to music therapy and guide dogs. I have interviewed some amazing people from my local community, and hopefully provided them with some enjoyable programs as well.


The frustrating thing about working at the station is that the technology there is not fully accessible for a blind person. There is a very limited budget available to cover the cost of running the station, so having accessible equipment isn’t really a priority for the couple of blind people who volunteer there. The fact that I don’t have complete control over the production of my show has made me more interested in internet radio broadcasting. I like the idea that I could work from my own accessible computer, and edit my show independently. I also like how social networking sites such as twitter are becoming a popular means of communication for radio stations.


So to add to the list of things I want to buy is a mixer, some microphones, a sound card and lots of music to play on my show each week. Anyone got any spare cash?

Comments