Mixtape4Melfi invades 2uibestow [Part 5]

This week on the blog I'm bringing the best posts from my first blog 'Mixtape4Melfi' over to 2uibestow. With the IMRO thing I've decided to delete that first blog altogether from the internet archives!



One of the features I had on Mixtape4Melfi was 'Irish Artists on YouTube' ... here's the best of those posts:



An Emotional Fish – Time Is On The Wall

Jerry Fish and the Mudbug Club (formerly known as An Emotional Fish) is an alternative rock band from Dublin, Ireland. An Emotional Fish were formed in 1988 and consisted of Gerard Whelan (lead vocals, percussion), Martin Murphy (drums, percussion), David Frew (guitars, vocals), and Enda Wyatt (bass, vocals, keyboards).





The Pale

Stolen from Wikipedia: "The Pale are an Irish band of varying genres including: eastern european, reggae, ska, bluegrass, world music, and pop. They were formed in Dublin in 1990 with Matthew Devereux on vocals, Shane Wearen on mandolin, Sean Molloy on Bass, and a drum machine. They released an award winning debut album on A&M records in 1992 called Here's One We Made Earlier. The debut album and live shows received critical praise internationally. The singles from that debut Dogs With No Tails, Butterfly, and Shut Up Venus did well in both Ireland and the UK.

The highest chart positions came in Turkey, Israel and France, and have given rise to successful cover versions of their songs released in Turkey. As the group have toured they have added and subtracted instruments and players to the line-up. The mainstay of the group has remained the sound conjured up by Matthew and Shane - one of ethnic fusion."

The Pale - Butterfly








Berkeley – New Star

Donegal band released a wonderful indie rock debut Hopes, Prayers and Bubblegum in 1993 with the legendary Steve Albini at the helm. Unfortunately it never worked out the band. Hopefully they are still together and working towards future releases.

Berkeley - New Star



I genuinely think these guys were destined for the best because the singer has a wonderful voice and they had a strong sound. More info on the band here!





I adore The Devlins. I will do a major post on them in a few weeks when 1 of their songs turn up in my Friday feature of Top 100 tunes! The Devlins should have been massive. They can do a Glen still and after 4 albums become massive but i don't know. I'm sure Peter and Colin Devlin now have day jobs. Maybe not because their music has found their way onto soundtracks for films and TV progs!

The Devlins - I Knew That from Feila 95 (First of their songs i loved)












My Little Funhouse from Kilkenny I think were signed by Geffen around '92. Bare in mind Nevermind was making millions for Geffen and well it was thought that David geffen can do no wrong! My Little Funhouse proved that he didn't always get it right. The hope was that My little Funhouse could have been the new G'n'R to the extent that the guitarist in the video clip had learned all of Slash's shapes! The band even had the support slot in Slane in 1992.

My Little Funhouse - I Want Some of That!



Ah the memories are all flooding back to me! I did actually believe the hype and bought the tape! The drummer Graham Hopkins moved on to become the skin beater for Therapy? and formed the band Halite. He has toured and recorded for the likes of Gemma Hayes, David Kitt and the Frames. In Malahide Castle recently Graham played the drums for The Frames and is the current drummer with The Swell Season. My Little Funhouse is where it all began!

Comments