Reflections on a Year of Blogging

I began the Mixtape4Melfi blog on 1st March 2008 in the hope of speading the word about great music I thought were at times ignored by the majority of the Blogsphere. I changed to the Irish Music only blog 2 U I Bestow to solidify the identity and objective of what I was trying to do. The feature I'm most proud of is the Ruby Tuesday feature where I give a small insight to a new artist trying to make it in the difficult music world. Here is the Best Of Ruby Tuesday:



Wayne Brennan is an interesting artist who I'm going to predict will have an amazing career ahead of him. Wayne creates wonderful music that is rather difficult to describe. Armed with a Spanish guitar he can at times sound similar to Rodreigo Y Gabrielle but with other tunes he is like an Irish Newton Faulkner.

http://www.myspace.com/waynebrennan





Hong Kong born Kiernan who grew up in Limerick is now making friends all over America plugging the debut album Perfect People Are Boring. In 2007 he released his first official single in Ireland called “Borderline” which went to number 3 on the Irish download charts. It sounds like Kiernan has been heavily influenced by the likes of Dave Matthews, Ben Harper and John Mayer which produces a John Butler trio sound. Kiernan is one of many irish artists at this year's SXSW in Austin, Texas.

http://www.myspace.com/kiernanm





I love bands with a female singer like Alphastates or Rilo Kiley. Joining this list is the band 'I Am Not Lefthanded'. I cannot recommend them enough. The band are Kathryn - Vocals/Guitar, Daniel - Vocals/Bass and Benji - Drums and sound like Natalie Merchant fronting U2. Download their single Long Goodbyes for free from their website!

http://www.iamnotlefthanded.com/




The Gorgeous Colours are fecking brilliant. This seems to be the general consensus of anyone interested in the Irish indie music scene! Who am I to disagree? The Dublin five peice have released a self-titled debut album of nine songs which will appeal to fans of Calexico, Arcade Fire, and TV on the Radio. It is indie rock at it's best. The singing is a joy to listen to, the melodies are superb (esp Locksmith) and the quality and variety of the music is impressive.

http://www.thegorgeouscolours.com/

Comments

Ronan said…
I thought that was going to be an I'm retiring comment there for a second. Great work Peter.
Leigh O'Gorman said…
good stuff peter,
keep it up
:)