Top 100 (Number 1) ...and repost mixtape4melfi post!



I'll start with the end. This is the final post on Mixtape4melfi. I have a new Irish Music only blog 2 U I Bestow which I think has a more specific purpose in the hope of promoting Irish bands. I'm inspired to do this because I feel it is a major injustice if the music world doesn't get to know about Mark Dignam.

1. Mark Dignam - Glide

Mark was centre of Dublin's busking scene in the post Joshua Tree pre Economic Boom Ireland. Mark busked with Glen Hansard, Mic Christopher, Kila, Hothouse Flowers, Miriam Ingrid and Paddy Casey who in The Times today named Mark as a major influence in his early music days. Everyone should have Mark's debut in their music collection. The sound Mark created was a mixture of old Irish Folk and Irish Rock with wonderful song-writing and melodies. I'm trying to write this with a wide perspective because Mark grew up very near to my house and when he clarifys our world in song I feel it deeply subjectively. Glide is a song about the space between on the ground life and over the top escapism. It's about making sense of our past, our experiences and our lives! Download it here...


The future is here with me
If you could only see
If you could just close your eyes and Glide

It's just as easy for you.. drop the other shoe
Take off your harness and dive into your sky

Oh... no... My flameless soul...
With my uncried tears at the bottom of a hole X2

The future is here with me
If you could only see
If you could just close your eyes and glide

Bend with the wind forget time lose your mind
this is the greatest moment there's ever been...

Oh... no... My flameless soul...
With my uncried tears at the bottom of a hole X2
Oh no... My flameless soul..
With my uncried tears at the bottom of a hole..

Solo

Quiet... it was hot... my pours opened wide
My sweat rained across my body
From the height of this dream
I could see down below
Our great beloved goldfish bowl
and I realise how small my perspective has been
I realise how small my perspective has been....

Oh... no... My flameless soul...
With my uncried tears at the bottom of a hole X2
Oh no... My flameless soul..
With my uncried tears at the bottom of a hole..




The Big List

100. Jawbreaker - Want (1990)
99. David Ford - I Don't Care What You Call Me (2006)
98. Ben Harper - Glory & Consequence (1997)
97. The Stereophonics - Maybe Tomorrow (2003)
96. The Black Crows - Remedy (1992)
95. Tracy Chapman - Open Arms (1992)Link
94. Slowdive - Allison (1993)
93. The Frames - Angel at my Table (1994)
92. Counting Crows - I Wish I was a Girl (1999)
91. Pearl Jam - Immortality (1994)
90. The Flaming Lips - Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (2006)
89. Sonic Youth - Superstar
88. Coldplay - Warning Signs (2002)
87. Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy (1993)
86. Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy (1992)
85. PJ Harvey - Missed (1993)
84. Damien Dempsey - Apple of my Eye (2003)
83. Belly - Slow Dog (1993)
82. Sinead O' Conner & Shane McGowen - Haunted (1995)
81. The Fat Lady Sings - Drunkard Logic (1993)
80. Damien Rice - Cannonball (2003)
79. Yo La Tengo - Little Eyes (2003)
78. The Frames - When Your Mind's Made Up (2006)
77. Neil Young - Rockin in the Free World (1989)
76. Ben Harper - Amen Omen (2003)
75. The Levellers - One Way
74. David Rovics - Falluja (feat Dope Poet Society)
73. The Lemonheads - Kitchen
72. The Cure - Just Like Heaven
71. Buffalo Tom - Late At Night
70. Paddy Casey - It's Over Now
69. Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
68. Jeff Buckley - Vancouver
67. John Martyn - May You Never
66. Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun
65. McAlmont & Butler - Yes
64. Tracy Chapman - Almost
63. Mark Dignam - Bumble Bee
62. The Hold Steady - Chips Ahoy
61. Paw - Sleeping Bag
60. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze
59. Ben Harper - Oppression
58. Whipping Boy - We Don't Need Nobody Else
57. U2 - The Unforgethable Fire
56. The Breeders - Cannonball
55. Blue October - Hate Me
54. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into Your Arms
53. The Devlins - Surrender
52. David Gray - Sail Away
51. Deus - Suds & Soda
50. Damien Dempsey - Negative Vibes
49. Mother Love Bone - Stardog Champion
48. Sugar - A Good Idea
47. Katell Keinig - Gulf of Araby
46. The Afghan Whigs - Gentleman
45. U2 - All I Want Is You
44. Van Morrison - The Way Young Lovers Do
43. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music
42. Nick Drake - Northern Sky
41. Damien Rice - Moody Monday
40. The Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
39. David Gray - What Am I Doing Wrong?
38. Mark Dignam - This Is Love
37. Massive Attack - Live With Me
36. Ray Lamontagne - Trouble
35. Pearl Jam - Sleight of Hand
34. The Replacements - Unsatisfied
33. The Hold Steady - First Night
32. The Frames - Seven Day Mile
31. The Cure - Fascination Street
30. Grant Lee Buffalo - Jupiter & Teardrop
29. Rollarskate Skinny - So Far Up To Heaven
28. The Mary Janes - Friends
27. Live - Supernatural (Vic Chestnut)
26. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonaise
25. Pearl Jam - Other Side
24. Beth orton - Sweetest Decline
23. Katell Keineg - Coolea
22. Ani DiFranco - Napolean
21. Elbow - Scattered Blacks & White
20. The Smashing Pumpkins - Luna
19. Chris Cornell - Seasons
18. Joseph Arthur - In The Sun
17. The Pony Club - Single
16. Wheat - Don't I Hold You
15. Pearl Jam - Pilate
14. Swervedriver - Dual
13. Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
12. The Prayer Boat - Slow Down
11. Ben Harper - Jah Work
10. The Smashing Pumpkins - Rhinoceros
9. The Frames - Fitzcaraldo
8. Nick Kelly - Tiburon Prayer
7. The Afghan Whigs - My Curse
6. Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike
5. Thin Lizzy - Dancing In The Moonlight
4. U2 - Bad
3. Pearl Jam - Breath
2. Jeff Buckley - What Will You Say
1. Mark Dignam - Glide

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Peter, while it wouldn't personally be my No.1, it's nice to see Mark get some recognition. I had the good fortune to see him play live in Cork years ago (@ The Lobby I think) and he was excellent.

Hadn't heard his name in years either til your blog, which is a pity.

Don't know if i'm alone in this, but i recently heard some stuff by THE MOUNTAIN GOATS and I couldn't help but compare their lead singers voice to Mark's. Is it just me?
Anonymous said…
Looks like I'm off to find me some tunes from The Mountain Goats. I believe Mark is completing a Production course in NYC. He is also working on his next album. You are right....what a pity the blogworld wasnt alive in 1994 when Mark's debut appeared!