Live Review: Mark Lanegan at The Academey, Sunday 18th Jan 2015



European Tour Poster on sale http://marklanegan.com/


Live Review: Mark Lanegan at The Academey, Sunday 18th Jan 2015
by Peter N




Arriving in time for the support act 'Sean Wheeler and Zander Schloss' proved to be extremely worthwhile. These two well dressed gentlemen with decades of experience played an awesome set of folk tunes with a punk attitude to a very responsive Mark Lanegan crowd. Highlights included 'A Song About Songs', 'The Pussy Song' and this cracking song 'Retablo'.






More info: http://www.seanandzander.com/Sean_%26_Zander/Welcome.html


I've seen Mark Lanegan perform with The Twilight Singers, twice as part of the amazing supergroup 'The Gutter Twins' and then again at Electric Picnic a few years back. I also loved 'The Screaming Trees' back in 90's. Even after all of this I wouldn't classify myself a fan of Mark Lanegan and today after giving The Mark Lanegan band another live listen I'm still not feeling the love. 

The positives I took from the gig is that Mark Lanegan's music transports you to the murky dirty environments of desert extremes. On a cold January night in Dublin this is a positive. 

The electronic rock on offer is difficult to strip back and discover the root themes of Mark's writing. Musically I'm in awe at some of the soundscapes hitting you but all too often a song comes and goes without leaving an impression. 

I was delighted to be in attendance last night because the support of Sean and Zander warmed me up but the headline act left me wanting more.

http://marklanegan.com/








Comments