Album Review: The Making - Expectations

I've listened to 'Expectations' from Monaghan band The Making around twenty times and I'm beginning to believe that this is my favourite album of 2011.



I do struggle with writing album reviews in general and it's more difficult explaining how an album hits the right notes than it is to pick out the the weaknesses. The Making is pretty much Brendan McCahey from Carrickmacross in Co. Monaghan. Brendan has a superb voice and has the ability to write highly catchy songs that keep revolving around your head all day and all night!

'Expectations' consists of ten tracks which is a mix of influences steeped in the Folk, Rock and Glam music of the 70’s. Even though Folk and Glam rock are world's apart Brendan's vocals are suited to both styles. If there was an obvious comparison I'd compare The Making to the indie sounds of British band Supergrass especially on the tracks 'Summer's Gone' and 'Take Her Away'.


04 v1 Summer's Gone by The Making

It is essential for any album that I review that the lyrics are central to the songs. On 'Expectations' there are songs of love, self-discovery and positiveness. When the lyrics are arranged within the catchy choruses of the songs they become infectious. The highlights for me are 'Beautiful Tonight', 'Safe and Well' and 'Prove Them Wrong'. I also love the laid back sound of 'Honestly':

03 v1 Honestly by The Making


There is not a bad song on this album and I'm highly recommending you check out 'Expectations' by The Making:

The Making - Expectations [12 out of 12]

Buy The Album: http://itunes.apple.com/ie/album/expectations/id442737974


http://www.themaking.ie/

Comments