Paws For Thought Invades 2uibestow [Part 2]

This week Jennifer Doherty, the writer of the popular blog 'Paws For Thought' is the guest blogger. I'm really excited about this because I don't know many people more passionate about music than Jennifer.





Guest post 2


During the summer of 1995, Bon Jovi played their first ever outdoor gig in Dublin, in the R.D.S arena. I remember the day so well, July 2nd and it was a Sunday night. I remember it because I was nine years old and my parents said I was too young to go to the concert. I was devastated. I remember having dinner with my cousin in our Aunt’s that night, almost in tears.


I obviously drove my parents nuts, because when Jon and the boys returned to Dublin the following year, I was allowed to go. 13th July 1996 [blog account and setlist here] was the day I went to my first ever concert, when I realised that there was a lot more to music than learning an instrument or playing tapes and CDs. Live music was a whole new experience and I loved it.


The following few years saw me attending gigs by the Corrs, Boyzone and REM. A second turning point in live music was when I saw David Gray for the first time in Marley Park in 2001. Discovering his music opened my mind to songwriting and how powerful it can be. This encouraged me to explore the music of Dylan, Cohen and Van the Man beyond the classics.


Being blind can sometimes be frustrating when I want to go to a gig. I have a guide dog but he doesn’t like drums and loud music. My friends and I have very different musical tastes, and the ones who like the same bands as me rarely have money to spend on music. I have often bought people tickets to a gig just so that I don’t miss out, and as you can imagine, this works out quite expensive. The area that I live in means that I often have to travel at least an hour, sometimes two to Belfast or four to Dublin to go to a particular gig. This adds travel expenses and accommodation to the cost of often already overpriced gig tickets.


The first time I went to the cinema I was about four years old. My older brother brought me up to pay before my parents could, and when we got to the counter he asked if I could get in half price because I couldn’t see the film and could only hear it. The owner of the cinema let me in free and has done so ever since. I rarely go to the cinema, but it’s a pity the same rule didn’t apply to live music venues as well!


I have been to many amazing gigs, and seeing Bruce Springsteen during the ‘working on a dream’ and ‘magic’ tours in Dublin were no doubt two of the highlights. There is one band who have affected me like no other, but I think my appreciation for them deserves a post of its own.


Comments

Jen said…
Thanks for the link to the set list. Nice one!
Peter N said…
I was actually for a clip from Youtube but instead found the setlist!