Album Review: Anthony Furey - I've Been Here Before ...

The debut album from Anthony Furey & The Young Folk is a folk album full of charm, melodies and personality.





I've been meaning to review this album since before the weekend but I've resisted writing my thoughts because I'm struggling to pinpoint why I like it so much. Anthony's voice reminds me of Conor Oberst or Fionn Regan with warmth and a personality. The ten songs are brimming full of charm that when he sings

' ... yeah these are our Sad Days'

in the opening song or sings about an unknown girl liking biscuits you can't help but sing along! The charm exists in the honest lyrics, melodies and overall uncomplicated structure of the songs.


There are some great tracks on this album. 'Grafton St.' has beautiful lyrics and passionate vocals which remind me of David Ford. 'Hold Her Down' is about a girl under the strain of drug mis-use which flirts with the sound associated with troubadours like Damien Rice! The best tracks on the album contain the strings section of Cello, Violin or Viola. My personal favourite track is 'Adjust'.


'I've Been Here Before ... ' isn't a perfect album. There are a few blips in quality on one or two of the tracks. So while I love many of the tracks on the album I won't be claiming this as a revelation of an album. If you want an album of really good songs, well written with a personality and charm then check out this album!


Anthony Furey & The Young Folk - I've Been Here Before ... - [10 out of 12]


http://www.myspace.com/anthonyfureymusic

<a href="http://anthonyfureyandtheyoungfolkband.bandcamp.com/track/biscuits">BISCUITS by Anthony Furey and The Young Folk Band</a>


13 May 2010 18:00 Tower Records instore City Centre (6pm), Dublin , IE
16 May 2010 20:00 Upstairs Whelans (www.myspace.com/getcommunion) City Centre, Dublin , IE
4 Jun 2010 20:00 Whelans (FREE SINGLE) City Centre, Dublin , IE
6 Jun 2010 20:00 Dame Quarter Festival City Centre, Dublin , IE
12 Jun 2010 20:00 Taste of Dublin Iveagh Gardens City Centre, Dublin , IE
13 Jun 2010 20:00 Taste of Dublin Iveagh Gardens City Centre, Dublin , IE
19 Jun 2010 13:00 NPLD festival (www.npld.ie) Temple House Estate, Sligo , IE
20 Jun 2010 13:00 NPLD festival (www.npld.ie) Temple House Estate, Sligo , IE

Comments